Friday, June 27, 2008

Do You Fondue Do?

A couple of nights ago I saw a commercial on TV for the Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant chain that will be opening at a new location in the next few months. Well, this got my appetite rolling for an easy and cheesey fondue. I didn't really want to go out and buy pounds of pricey Gruyere and Emmental cheese. So I asked around and my friend Ren suggested a beer and cheddar fondue. It's basically extra extra sharp cheddar and beer! You get a lovely, melty pot of goodness! We served it with crusty french bread, steamed potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli and cooked steak.

Thanks Ren!


Ren's Cheddar Fondue

Ingredients:
1/2 to 3/4 a bottle of beer, lager or ale (I used Stella)
1 pound extra extra-sharp cheddar, shredded and tossed with 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 or 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1 or 2 dashes of hot sauce

Directions:
1. Bring beer to a simmer in fondue pan (thanks Gelareh & Ali!!).
2. Gradually stir in the cheddar/flour mixture in batches and stirring CONSTANTLY.
3. Stir in the mustard and Worcestershire and hot sauce.
4. Dip and eat!!

No comments: